I had 8 unwaxed lemons languishing in the fridge because my freezers are jam packed. I had to do something with them soon or they'd go to waste. So I made a simple lemon syrup.
I thinly peeled the zest and added them to a pan with 3 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. I simmered them until it had reduced by half. Once it had cooled I removed the zest.
I juiced the lemons and added the juice to the sugar syrup.
I now have some slightly candied peel to use in my next whisky fruit cake or Christmas pudding and a jar of delicious lemon syrup to use in my iced tea 🫖
I still had the apples from my last Lidl box so they were cored and peeled and poached in a splash of water.
Once they were cooked, I pureed them so I now have 4 x half cup portions of simple applesauce to use in baking. They're already in the freezer.
Also chopped up and in the freezer are the 3 red peppers (29p each at Lidl) and the remaining 3 free bananas.
Today's Foodie Friday vlog shows my last shopping 'haul' of the year. My plan is to not visit a supermarket again until January. I can only do that if I make sure I use up all my purchases and don't waste anything!







I try to make room in the freezer for the yellow stickered meat and cheese just after Christmas. Last year I made a lot of butter from the 2p pots of double cream.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant use of what you had there, and no freezer space needed. I would have carried on one step further and used the peels, lemon shells and apple cores to make a jar or two of Compost Heap Jelly.
ReplyDeleteWell done, Ali. Great preparation of food to save waste. Catriona
ReplyDeleteOhhh, I never thought of using the lemon syrup in tea (either warm or iced), I bet it tastes great.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.