I got a cucumber in my Lidl box so decided to make bread and butter pickles. No idea why they're called that. If you know, leave me a comment!
Slice one cucumber finely and cover with 25g of salt in a glass dish. Leave for 24 hours to draw out all the moisture.
Drain, rinse and pat dry, taking time to make sure they're dry. Time consuming but worth it.
Bring 200ml of vinegar, 1 tsp of pickling spice, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 100g of sugar to the boil in a pan. Simmer for 10 mins then add the cucumbers. Bring back up to the boil for 1 min then pour into a hot sterilised jar. They're ready to eat in a few weeks.
This is the only photo I could find of past pickles! I've been making these for years. They're one of my favourite and easiest preserves!
I make a lovely version of this with chunks rather than slices plus onion and celery. Sweet and sour and as you say very tasty
ReplyDeleteYummy! I was snowed under with gifts of courgettes a couple of years ago and in the end resorted to pickling them in the same way as making bread and butter pickles, having run out of ways to work them into meals. They were a big success and have become a bit of a family favourite.
ReplyDeleteAn American couple who farmed cucumbers during the depression era made pickles with them and exchanged the pickle at their local grocers for bread and butter. Whether its true or not, it sounds good. Thanks for the recipe. Xx
ReplyDeleteThis is interesting. I read that it was a substitue for meat and cheese on a sandwich with bread and butter.
DeleteI usually add onion and red pepper to my bread and butter pickles. You did great making this batch up.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Yes, what Gill said, and the cucumbers, when pickled meant that people had something tasty to eat when all they could afford was to be living on bread and butter.
ReplyDelete