Friday, June 27, 2025

Taste testing!

 

In today's YT video I'm tasting a variety of strawberries, tomatoes and apples after recent discussions about how fruit (and veg) is lacking in taste.  I got some from M&S, Waitrose, my local greengrocer and my Co-op.  Spoiler alert, the M&S produce came out top for actually tasting like they were supposed to!!  So I'm thinking it's worth buying more expensive in season produce but just less often so I can stay within budget.

Someone asked what I was going to do with all that produce!  You know me, I won't be wasting any of it!!  As I had too many strawberries to eat by myself I chopped the 'lesser' tasty ones and froze them in my wee tubs (right hand side) for using in overnight oats or yoghurt.  The wee tubs on the left are mixed fruit compote.

Some of the tomatoes I've just lightly cooked with vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt to make a kind of sauce.

It's delicious with my sausage meatballs!

The remaining tomatoes on the vine will be roasted just as a side veg and the wee sugardrop ones I'll just munch on as snacks! 🍅

7 comments:

  1. I didn't for a moment think that you would waste any of the purchases. :-)

    I find myself buying less fresh vegetables except for the ones in season these days. Anything out of season is bought as a frozen product. Which is both cheaper and usually things were frozen when there were in season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You know me so well!! I'm a big fan of frozen veg for that reason :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Agree with you both about buying in season and also frozen being often the better buy.
    Alison in Devon ( was Wales ) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep out of season veg is better if it's been frozen at the right time :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Good for you in using everything and not letting it go to waste. You are a pro at this.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great, using up all you have is very wise!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome but will be moderated first. Abusive messages will be deleted without a moment's hesitation as will any spam. This is a supportive community and trolling will not be tolerated.