I had half a tin of Heinz baked beans in the fridge. They had been there 2 days as I had the other half with my cheesy baked potatoes. I pulled a portion of tomato and veg sauce from the freezer. It has tomatoes, onions, 3 types of peppers and grated carrot so is packed with veggies.
I put a teaspoon of oil plus 2 teaspoons of my fajita spice mix in a hot pan and gently fried off the spices for 1 min (or until they smell amazing!)
I added the tomato sauce and let it all sizzle for 1 min then added some water to loosen it.
I let it simmer for 10 mins while I cooked some rice.
Then I added the baked beans and stirred it all together until piping hot.
I served it with plain boiled rice. It was honestly the best bean chilli I've ever made!! You could add more chilli flakes to the spice mixture if you like it hotter 🌶 but I find my fajita spice mix is spicy enough for me. That's the beauty of mixing it yourself 😋
And there's a second portion in the fridge for tomorrow!






I was interested in your fajita spice mix but decided - as you said - that it wouldn't be worthwhile for me as the jars of things I would need to buy would be old before I'd finished them. Packets of fajita seasoning are sometimes 3 for the price of two and I use half and peg tight closed.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to work out what is cost effective.
That is a really economical couple of meals, I am always using up half tins of beans in different ways too.
ReplyDeleteI am cooking something similar tonight with tomato sauce from the freezer, half a leftover can of chickpeas, two Italian sausages (mild) and a handful of pasta. Topped with lots of grated cheese, it should be very filling and will do me at least two meals.
ReplyDeleteSounds delicious and just the thing for a miserable weather day. Catriona
ReplyDeleteFrugal, delicious, and healthy. What could be better? It looks lovely. I think a lot of people forget, or still don't know, that beans are a good source of protein as well as fibre.
ReplyDelete