Recipe from today's video
- 350g mixed dried fruit
- 30g soft brown sugar
- 150ml hot black tea
- glug of whisky
- 2 large eggs
- 50ml milk (or water)
- 1 grated apple
- 225g SR flour (or 225g plain flour + 2 and 1/4 tsp baking powder)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
Method
Soak fruit/sugar/tea/whisky overnight.
Add egg and milk mixture then apple.
Stir in flour and spices.
Bake in a lined 2lb loaf tin for about 60 to 90 mins at 170C or 150C fan. Check after 50 mins and cover with foil to prevent burning. Check middle of loaf is cooked through. Cool and slice as required π
This is my go to 'fruit cake' recipe. I'll use it for my Christmas cake this year but add different types of dried fruit and maybe some nuts as well. I'll also add more spice and maybe some treacle to deepen the flavour and colour.
Here are the baking tools mentioned in the video. Silicon bread sling HERE. Bread scoring tool HERE. Other bread stencils HERE.
It was interesting reviewing the baking tools. I wouldn't have done it if I genuinely didn't already like Sourdough by the Sea! I hadn't used the tools previously so what you see is my genuine first reaction π
Thanks again Tammy for telling them about me and my channel π


Ahhh how exciting!!!! Tomorrow I will be baking my first loaf π. The starter is lovely!!! Very easy to follow instructions. π I will keep you posted ππ. Jim is who answered my questions, extremely good customer service. My starter arrived in the mail here in the US less than a week from the UK. π¬π§ πΊπΈ
ReplyDeleteHi Ali, thanks for this delicious sounding recipe. I'll be staying in tomorrow for tradesmen coming so I'll soak some fruit overnight and bake it tomorrow. I'm gluten free so I'll be trying it with gluten free flour. I'll let you know how I get on. I am a retired primary teacher too, living in Aberdeenshire. I am lucky to have been able to retire at 60 although I delayed claiming my state pension for 3 more years to make up for a shortfall because of a career break and some part-time working. I find your YouTube channel and blog an absolute delight and eagerly look forward to each new post. Your cheerfulness, optimism and strength are an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your baking video yesterday and the bread looked lovely. I make the tea loaf but without the alcohol. I also make it in two 1lb loaf tins to try and help the diabetic one’s portion control! Catriona
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing the tea loaf recipe, Ali. Hubby and I have both tested positive for Covid over the weekend so won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I'll make some of this once I start to feel human again!
ReplyDeleteAngie
Hi Ali, I just made your tea loaf (sans whiskey) and it has come out gorgeous. As the mixture looked very wet, I threw in some extra flour, maybe 50g or so. I didn’t soak my fruit overnight so that was probably the reason. Will definitely be making that one again! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteMade your tea loaf yesterday and it was fabulous. Didn’t add whiskey and it needed a bit extra flour as I didn’t soak the fruit overnight. Will definitely be making that again, thank you.
ReplyDeleteFor anyone like me who doesn't drink like or drink tea, I can state that this works very well with coffee too, and of course the alcohol of your choice. :-)
ReplyDelete