After recently making dumplings/doughballs and a steamed pudding, I still had about 25g of Atora suet (beef) left and I didn't want it to go to waste. So I made a small batch of mincemeat based on this recipe HERE. I just scaled it down by a tenth and added a bit of more of what I had.
I used up some of the frozen apples I got free from my mum's garden. Plus some of the slightly candied lemon peel from making the lemon syrup. And some orange juice I had frozen in ice cubes made with oranges I got in a Lidl box ages ago. I didn't bother doing the whole sterilising jars etc as I'll be using it soon. It smells absolutely like Christmas!! 🎄
I quite often do small batches of preserves if I only have a small amount of something. You don't always need to make 20 jars of it!!
And for some reason this week's sourdough loaf was rather holey!! The next few slices had even bigger holes! But that's part of the fun adventure with sourdough 🍞


I’m no expert but i think the holes are a sign that your dough was very active. I’m sure it was still divine! There’s nothing like sourdough.
ReplyDeleteI can almost taste that mincemeat it looks lovely.
ReplyDeleteI quite like making just one or two jars of something. When it's jam or marmalade I think I enjoy the using of just a smallish pan and having less mess in the kitchen than when I used to do big batches, but still ending up with a jar of something tasty in the cupboard and no scraps in the fridge.
Great job on using up all those bits and bobs in the mincemeat. And the sourdough looks scrummy, I do love real (as opposed to the supermarket fake stuff) sourdough. Pity I can't be bothered to make it anymore!
ReplyDeleteGood for you in using up those bits and bobs from the fridge and freezer.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Insufficient mixing of your dough is the answer to the sourdough holes (sorry ) I have always liked mincemeat pies in shortcrust .... with a slight sprinkling of sugar on top ...... I always look forward to foodie Fridays
ReplyDeleteI didn't put enough water in this time so yep, not mixed as as normal as the dough was stiff. But still tasted good! :-)
Delete