Friday, December 6, 2024

Caramelised onion chutney

 

Today's Foodie Friday vlog is up.  I had a surplus of onions that I wanted to use up so I decided to make some chutney with them.  I found an amazing recipe that had a slowcooker method so I decided to have a go.  I started by slicing up the onions the night before.  It took me half an hour!!!  And the whole house stank of raw onions until the next morning!🧅

I added butter, oil and bay leaves and set the slowcooker to low.  They simmered gently for 3 and a half hours.

Then I added the sugar, vinegar, salt and chilli flakes and set it to High (with the lid wedged open a little) for 7 hours in the end!

It was nice and sticky after simmering all day!  And the house smelled a bit nicer 😋


This is what 2kg of onions looks like after all that!!  The labels are leftovers from my Etsy shop days.

Ingredients:

  • 2kg of red or brown onions (before peeling)
  • 50ml oil
  • 50g butter
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 300g dark soft brown sugar
  • 200ml apple cider vinegar
  • 200ml Balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp chilli flakes
Method:

See HERE for the original recipe.  It has fab detailed instructions for both methods.

10 comments:

  1. It's funny how there are so many recipes out there for the same thing. Mine is quite different .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was quite surprised when I looked for a recipe that was similar to the one I used years ago. I can confirm it's absolutely delicious even one day later and will improve on maturing :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. I can almost smell it here! Looks gorgeous and how much simpler to use the slow cooker. Yummy. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali, I've used my slow cooker before to just make caramalized onions, this is even better! Did you put the jars through the canning procedure (I've never done that before), or will they be kept in the fridge or freezer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sterilised the jars and hot packed the chutney into hot jars. The link I've added shows you how to sterilise them in the microwave! I've not tried that way before, I just do the oven method. They'll keep in the storecupboard then the fridge once opened

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm just watching the video now and I see you're giving those instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made a chutney, is it the same as our relishes here across the pond? Our relishes don't contain sugar of any kind. This chutney intrigues me and might be made sometime soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're similar but our relishes can have sugar too. It's the brown sugar/vinegar combo that makes a chutney and that's what preserves it.

      Delete
  6. That looks lovely. I had never heard of being able to do it in the slow cooker before what a brilliant idea. Sadly I don't have one, but I still think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I freeze my onions from the allotment it’s been a game changer

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome but will be moderated first. Abusive messages will be deleted without a moment's hesitation as will any spam. This is a supportive community and trolling will not be tolerated.