I made a vlog on cooking tattie scones. They can be made from just 2 ingredients and are cheap, filling and delicious. And they freeze beautifully!
All you need is leftover mashed potatoes and self raising flour. I add black pepper to mine but that's completely optional. The ratio is always 4 parts mashed potato to 1 part self raising flour.
I used a hot frying pan but traditionally they would have been made on a girdle like this one HERE.
Ingredients:
- 400g seasoned mashed potatoes (skins on or off)
- 100g SR flour
- black pepper (optional)
Warm the potatoes and mix with the flour to form a dough. If (like mine) your potatoes have a lot of butter in them then you might need to add extra flour to stop them sticking.
Divide the dough into 3 and roll out to form a circle about 1/2 cm thick then cut into to quarters.
Dry fry them in a pan until golden brown on each side.
Traditional tattie scones are triangular but I've made circular ones in the past too.
I find they're best served warm. They can be fried, toasted or warmed up in the microwave. They're extra tasty in a fry up with eggs and bacon 😋

And a small amount of syboes in our house too, Ali! Delicious. Catriona
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds absolutely delicious!!! I must try that :-) Spring onions for those who don't know ;-)
DeleteThanks for the explanation - I've never heard that word before!
DeleteI think Alan must have our girdle somewhere, it was his Grannies. But sadly I don't think it would be much good on our induction hobs. Tattie scones are lovely though aren't they. 😀
ReplyDeleteWhen I cleared my uncle's house I had hoped to find my Gran's girdle but sadly it wasn't there. She made Scotch pancakes, oatcakes and tattie scones on hers :-) xxx
DeleteHow wonderful, another way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I'm making some for my Christmas morning breakfast to have with smashed avo and egg, Yummy! Thanks, Ali. xx
ReplyDelete