Thursday, February 6, 2025

Curry paste recipe - 28p per portion

 


This is a recipe I found on a blog years ago.  The blog no longer exists but the recipe came from a lady called Geetha in London who gave it to her friend Elaine.

Curry paste:

  • 1kg onions, sliced
  • 25ml oil
  • 6 cloves of garlic, crushed/grated
  • 4cm piece of ginger, chopped/grated
  • 3-4 fresh chillies chopped or 2 tsp dried
  • 4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 can water
  • 50g fresh coriander, chopped

Fry onions in the oil for about 20 mins until really brown


Add the garlic. ginger and fresh chillies and fry gently for 2 mins.


Add the dry spices and salt and fry gently for 2 mins taking great care not to burn them


Add the tomatoes and water and simmer for about 10 to 15 mins until thick and pulpy


Add the chopped coriander and stir for 1 min.  Switch off the heat.


When cooled either blitz until smooth or leave chunky.  Divide into 12 equal portions and freeze.

Use 1 portion per person straight from the freezer when making a curry!

As I explain in the vlog total cost of ingredients was £3.35 making it 28p per portion.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is great and will definitely try it. As the basis for a curry it would be great to have these in the freezer, rather than spend a couple of pounds on a jar of sauce. Thanks for this tip! From Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely delectable, Ali! I watched you make it on YouTube and I am adding this to my recipe file. Thanks so much for sharing! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I remember Elaine. She had 2 sons right. Mortgage in Three?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mortgage Free in Three! She was a great inspiration plus Frugal Queen back when I first started out on my frugal journey.

      Delete
  5. I remember this recipe I probably have written down somewhere I loved Elaine’s blog wished it was still around her ideas and recipes were great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was one of the first frugal blogs I found when my life went to pieces all those years ago. So inspirational!

      Delete
  6. I remember Frugal Queen & Mortgage Free In Three from the old days of the money-saving expert forums. I have a hob nob recipe that I got from there that I still use from time to time. The curry paste looks great too Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I even came across this lady although I remember Jane - doesn't everyone! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this on your YT channel. I love having pre prepared food ingredients in the freezer, as a single person, its more economical and easy when you dont feel like spending ages in the kitchen when you fancy a curry. Its now in my recipe book and I will make some this week.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome but will be moderated first. Abusive messages will be deleted without a moment's hesitation as will any spam. This is a supportive community and trolling will not be tolerated.