One of my goals for 2025 is to 'Make/upcycle/thrift all my clothes except underwear and footwear' and so far I've only bought some M&S underwear. I used to do this before I returned full time to teaching. I went back through some old projects from around 2010/2011 to give me some inspiration to get my mojo going again! I made this yellow dress from scratch using a tablecloth. BTW that's Emma my black Lab in these photos 💕
This was my son's jacket. It was a pale grey cotton that I dyed lilac and appliqued an 18 piece heart on the back.
I loved this jacket and wore it to death!!
This was a plain white cotton shirt style blouse I used to wear to work.
I dyed it red and shortened the sleeves.
Yep, my hair was a red burgundy colour in this phase!!
This was a dress my mum gave me. I removed the sleeves, altered the neckline and shortened it.
I wore it on holiday to Vienna.
This is another altered blouse. I think I removed the sleeves as well as the collar.
I rather liked that one and wore it a lot!
This was a dress that was too big for me so I took in the side seams and used the belt to make a rosette brooch.
The brooch was kinda lost on the dress but I wore it on other things!
Looking back at some of my previous stuff has definitely inspired me to get started again. I've been clearing out my wardrobe and getting rid of the last of my 'work' outfits as they're now getting a bit ratty and have holes!!
When I retired from teaching I donated all my work clothes to a CS, including a number of items bought for work still with tags! Never worn, what a waste of money and buying clothes to look smart for work. Still, the CS were pleased no doubt. I now only buy from CS, except socks, pants and bras. They are new for me. I like your alterations, I love altering clothes to suit me. Carole R.
ReplyDeleteI've been decluttering my wardrobe and I've found a couple of 'work' items still with labels on them. I might just donate them :-)
DeleteI loved reading this— very inspiring. I did visit my local thrift store last week. My over the shoulder purse had lost all its surface colour, and was worn through in other areas. I came away with two purses for fifteen dollars, both immaculate, one over the shoulder for summer and one for taking ipad and exercise book and print offs to class. Jean/Winnipeg
ReplyDeleteI'm in need of a 'new' bag (purse) so need to go check out my local charity shops soon. Although when I go out I just shove my phone and keys in a pocket! :-)
DeleteThere are some brilliant alterations there, I look forward to seeing what you manage to do this time. 😀
ReplyDeleteLove all your remakes and often do the same. I buy new underwear and socks but will now wear things from CS as they are fine after a good launder. Catriona
ReplyDeleteYou did awesome on your remakes. I do sew many of my own clothes and jackets. I even have a pattern to make underwear, which I want to try soon.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Well done Ali - seeing your fashion up cycling is truly inspiring. I enjoy dressmaking & am currently going through my wardrobe to up cycle clothes that I don't wear much into something which I will wear. I look forward to seeing more of your creations.
ReplyDelete