Thursday, April 24, 2025

What I ate in a day for £2.13

 

In tomorrow's Foodie Friday vlog, I'm sharing the costs of what I ate in a day.  I explain how I work out the cost of the veggies in a Lidl veg box simply by dividing the £1.50 cost by the number of items (6) so each item/pack is 25p.  Then within that 25p I work out what each single piece of veg costs.  For example a single pepper would be 25p divided by 3, a single banana would be 50p divided by 13.  And so on.


I had 6 Wagyu beef sausages that were reduced to £1.99 making each sausage 33p.  These were cooked in home made onion gravy and portioned into 3 servings.  I ate one and froze the other two.  Honestly, they weren't the best sausages I've ever had despite the fancy Wagyu content!

I have a load of butter in the freezer made from reduced cream so when I add butter to a meal/recipe it doesn't cost as much as shop bought.  

And so you get the gist of how I calculated the cost of what I ate in a day.  Here's the breakdown of each meal.

Breakfast: 42p

  • 50g oats 6p (from a 2kg bag costing £2.45)
  • 50g frozen raspberries 33p (from a 300g bag costing £2)
  • Banana 3p 
  • Peanut butter, no cost bought with a voucher
  • Jam, free as was a gift

Morning snack: Free

Scone with jam and clotted cream, free gift

Main meal: £1.37

  • 2 sausages 66p
  • Instant mash 45p
  • 1/3 of the sweetheart cabbage 8p
  • 1/3 of onion gravy 18p (made from 2 onions at 32p, butter 10p, seasonings 10p)

Supper: 34p

  • 1 slice home made sourdough bread 6p
  • Butter 10p
  • 30g cheese 18p (from a 900g block costing £4.99)

Grand total: £2.13

If I'd had fresh potatoes at the time or mash in the freezer, it would have been cheaper as the instant mash was just a storecupboard standby.  

It's not something I'll do regularly as it's faffy to work out the costs but it was an interesting exercise nonetheless 😊

1 comment:

All comments are welcome but will be moderated first. Abusive messages will be deleted without a moment's hesitation as will any spam. This is a supportive community and trolling will not be tolerated.