I got 2 mangoes in a Lidl box last week. I've been checking their ripeness all week. They seemed soft and ripe so I tasted one this morning. While it was ripe it wasn't that sweet so it was perfect for making mango chutney!🥭
This is a very simple bare bones recipe. Of course you can add your own favourite spices to it but today I didn't have any chillies or garlic or cardamom seeds.
I used:
2 mangoes chopped
1/4 cup sugar (I used brown)
1/4 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp ground coriander
pinch salt
Add to a large pan and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 5 to 10 mins until the mango is soft enough to mash.
Simmer for another 5 mins or so until you can pull the spoon through the mixture and no liquid fills the gap.
I've just put it into wee containers to freeze, the size you'd normally get with a take away. I'm freezing it so I don't eat it!! I guess you could put it into a sterilised jar etc if you want to preserve it longer. But I'd look for an actual preserving recipe instead.







I must get some mangoes and make some - my recipe is a bit different and has peppers in too and is very fruity!
ReplyDeleteLooks lovely! What size are your containers - enough for only a few tablespoons, or larger?
ReplyDeleteLooks so easy and very yummy. I love any kind of chutney.
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious. A very good idea to freeze it in those wee containers. I do the same when I pick up reduced price packs of coriander and make coriander chutney. The freezer has to be one of the best things ever invented.
ReplyDeleteThat looks delicious. Freezing in those containers saves room in the cupboard and they look perfect for a single serving or so.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.