Friday, November 8, 2024

Stretching meat

 

This week I bought a lot of meat which will last me into December if I stretch it with veggies and dumplings.  I had 2 x 700g packs of lean diced beef so after dusting it with a little flour,  I fried it off in batches in a little oil.  The caramelisation on the meat adds to the flavour!

It all went in the Crockpot with diced carrot, turnip (swede) and onions with 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and stock.  It bubbled away for 6 hours.

I made some suet dumplings (recipe at the end) and popped them in for the last half hour.  The smell in the kitchen was amazing!

I had a portion with some sweet potato mash from the freezer.


I used 2/3 of a 750g pack (ie 500g) of steak mince to make a meatloaf.  The meat was stretched with 1 grated carrot, 1 diced onion, 2 cooked bacon rashers finely chopped, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 beaten egg and a lot of Worcestershire sauce to taste!  Mix really well and bake in a lined 2lb loaf tin at 180C for about 40 mins.


The rest of the mince was cooked with some grated carrot, onions, red lentils and some stock.  I had extra doughballs so they were popped in the freezer tubs too!


I made some pastry and popped it on top of these 2 wee individual pie dishes.  


Everything is now in the freezer!

Suet dumplings

200g SR flour (or plain flour with 2 tsp baking powder)
100g suet (beef or vegetable)
1 tsp mixed herbs  (optional)
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together with very cold water until it forms a dough.  Roll into 12 balls the size of a golf ball.  Cook on top of stew with a lid on for 20 to 30 mins.

All of the above made 20 portions of meat dishes.

6 comments:

  1. Well done you! Lot’s of tasty and filling meals for the colder weather. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 700g packs of diced beef for £4.99 were too good to miss, even though I am trying to use up the stock of meat, fish and dairy in the freezer, and make space for some economical frozen vegetables, peas, green beans, broad beans, and sprouts.
    Frozen blueberries have been a success, £1.99 for 400g. I get enough out for three days at a time, and keep them in the fridge to have on my porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sounds yummy. Can't find suet anywhere here, have to resort to other fats for my Christmas plum pudding and stuffing. It used to always be available around this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's definitely the way to do it. Now you can start on that chicken. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of yummy dishes. They will taste amazing in the cold days coming. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The meatloaf is yummy! I made the recipe earlier today - thank you! I shall definitely be making this on a regular basis! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome but will be moderated first. Abusive messages will be deleted without a moment's hesitation as will any spam. This is a supportive community and trolling will not be tolerated.