Every year I set myself some goals instead of resolutions. I've reviewed last year's goals and was happy that I achieved 3 out of 4. The 4th one didn't work out due to the timing of me moving house but I'm not beating myself up about it.
So, this is a year of using up all the resources I have saved and hoarded for decorating, DIYing and gardening in my new house. When I need to buy something I'll try thrifting first, then my local recycle centre and even asking family/friends if they have what I'm looking for. If I need to buy anything new I'll thoroughly research the best deal/prices!
2025 Goals: A year of using what I already have
1. Create a permaculture garden from scratch
My garden is currently a patch of muddy/soggy grass and a decked area with some pots I brought from my previous house. I'm aiming to create a space where I can grow food and flowers, where I can encourage beneficial insects and where Luna and I can relax. I'm bringing as much as I can salvage from my allotment plot including my compost bins. I have a ramshackle shed I'm hoping I can save and turn into a potting shed.
2. Make/upcycle/thrift all my clothes (except underwear and footwear)
I've been slowly wearing out all old work clothes (mainly tunics and leggings) so will be needing to replace some items. I'd like to start sewing clothes again and already have lots of patterns and fabric. Other items can be thrifted and I know my Lovely Mum is hoping to do a clothes clear out this year so I might be able to upcycle some of her things.
3. Decorate my whole house
It's a small house, just 4 rooms plus a fully tiled bathroom (that I'm not touching) and hall/stairs. I have a ton of white and cream paint, a few rolls of nice wallpaper I got on sale and loads of ideas! I just need to motivate myself to get cracking! I know I need to buy some electrical fittings and a curtain pole but I think I already have all I need. If I can save enough money I might get my armchair professionally re upholstered.
I'm planning to video as much as I can and to keep a careful note of how much it costs. I really want to see if it can be done!

I missed your yesterdays post so just want to say thank you for your youtube channel and may it continue to grow through 2025. Looking forward to seeing how you change your garden to produce more too
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing the house and garden transformations.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a sensible and doable plan. One of my biggest savings when I retired was clothes and shoes and handbags. I now willingly accept my daughter’s declutters and wear out shabby clothes around the house and garden. Only buy new underwear and trainers when they are on sale. Catriona
ReplyDeleteYears ago in UK I did a night school class in upholstery, don’t know if the still do them. Moira
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Ali x
ReplyDeleteAlison in Wales x
Happy New Year Ali. Wishing you a great year ahead
ReplyDeleteYour goals sound very realistic and achievable, it will be interesting to see you new home develop and become even more of 'your' space and taste, especially the garden.
ReplyDeleteHi Ali, I'm really excited to see what you get up to in 2025! I'm especially interested in what you do with your garden, and all the DIY. In our previous homes I have always done the painting, but this house (bungalow) has very high ceilings, and I'm just not up to climbing ladders at that height. However, all our focus for now is travelling while we still can, so decorating and renovations have to wait a few years. I'm ok with that, maybe I'll get some ideas from you in the meantime!
ReplyDeleteI also set goals rather than "resolutions", seems to make things a bit more achievable to me.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your garden develop and finding out what veg can be squeezed in. It could be the last year on our own allotment and I have no idea how much/little can be grown in a small garden without sacrificing relaxing space.
ReplyDeleteCan't do decorating any more though :/
Just got up-to-date with your last few videos..they're so interesting to watch. In one of your recent ones you mentioned your home-made turkey meat loaf but I can't remember in which video you film yourself making it, or listing the ingredients. If you get time would you mind letting me know how to find your recipe please? Many thanks Ali, Best wishes Jenny
ReplyDelete